Monday, January 18, 2016

Why I Travel and Hike Solo


Deliberate. I know I've written a little about this subject before, but going solo is important to me as a person, especially because I'm a girl. I'll leave the sociology and psychology of women to other writers, but I'll tell you right now that nobody on the planet is going to stop me from travelling and hiking alone. I have a boyfriend who encourages me to pursue my passions and his only words of caution revolve around bears and yetis. He has never once told me not to go on a trip, that it's too dangerous for me, that I should stay home where it's safe. He's not the only male in my life who encourages me like this. My dad is mostly responsible for my wanderlust, and he taught me everything I knew when I first started travelling. It's because of Dad that I love spending time in my car, and he's the one who took me on my first hiking trail.


Going solo has so many benefits, I'm amazed that more people don't travel alone more often. Not even necessarily hiking alone, but just travelling alone in itself is awesome. Now, what follows are my personal preferences regarding why I travel and hike solo, but they're seriously good reasons for you to give it a try yourself!


I like solitude. I'll say it again: I. Like. Solitude. I love alone-time, me-time, whatever else you want to call it. I love the time it gives me to quiet my mind and think, which I can't get when I'm with a companion. I usually feel like I have to make conversation with my companion, although there are a few people where that obligation doesn't exist. Going solo also means I can do whatever I want whenever I want, without consulting another person. I don't have to make sure their needs are being met, or worry about whether or not they're having a good time. Travelling alone encourages me to trust myself and my instincts, and to be self-reliant especially when camping alone. There's also this nasty little monster that travels everywhere with me called being self-conscious; sometimes a shower isn't available for a few days, and sometimes I like to belt out the Frozen soundtrack at the top of my worst voice (I'm not the only one and I know it). Not only do I have all of the above reasons, but sometimes there just isn't anybody to go with; if I waited for someone to be able to travel with me, I'd only go on a small handful of trips, instead of the 16 I took in 2014 and the 18 I took in 2015.


As there is with everything, there is a negative side to travelling alone. There's nobody to consult with if I'm unsure of my path or I'm being indecisive, and there is nobody to help me if I were to ever get seriously injured (sorry Mom). Travelling alone means there's nobody available to take pictures of me/for me, although a tripod, timer and remote go a long way to helping that situation. And finally, there's nobody for me to blame if I get lost, like I would ever blame anybody but myself for that mistake!


As you can see, I've got a whole hell of a lot more reasons to travel alone than reason I have not to. Travelling alone is a personal preference that I'm just beginning to explore, and I do enjoy travelling with or meeting up with companions when I adventure. Sometimes, though, I just want to go alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment