Thursday, January 21, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: There are Carnivorous Plants in Texas!


On my recent hiking adventure in Big Thicket National Preserve, somewhere on my 19.65 mile route I took a short stroll along a boardwalk set above a marshy savannah, among which grew the most intriguing plants I've ever seen: Pitcher Plants! These plants are carnivorous, trapping insects in digestive enzymes that allow the plant to obtain nutrients from its prey. They don't move like a Venus Fly Trap, but they stand tall among the grasses of the marsh and draw the eye. They were everywhere, and even in the middle of December only a few were wilted from the morning frosts. Now I want to go back during the summer and see how they thrive!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever seen pitcher plants, venus fly traps, sundews, or any other carnivorous plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment