Thursday, October 3, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Indiana Dunes, An East Coast Epic Story


The first stop on my East Coast Epic was the nation's newest national park: Indiana Dunes. Actually, it was my second stop if you count an overnight at my parent's house to get my camping gear back from my sister and to celebrate the 4th of July, but Indiana Dunes was my first stop to camp, hike, and generally explore. Alone. For ten days. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Indiana Dunes is situated at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, close enough that you can see the silhouette of Chicago to the west on a clear day. The park preserves miles of beach and coastline, historic buildings, and you guessed it, sand dunes. Sand dunes seem to be a theme of my travels this year, but at least I didn't break my wrist this time. (My wrist was still in the brace when I set out on this adventure, and didn't come off until I was more than halfway finished.) But I digress; I arrived at the park in the evening and spent the rest of the daylight hours chasing photos. The next morning I was up early, determined to catch sunrise over the lake. Given that it was a holiday weekend during the summer I expected a lot more people on the beach early on, but aside from a couple of joggers and a grizzled fisherman, I was alone. It wasn't quiet, not with the wind and the waves and the occasional gull, but it was peaceful and an excellent start to my adventures. I couldn't wait to see what else was in store for me through the rest of the week travelling around the east coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment